Monday, April 21, 2014

Banners and a Block

After Bible Study this morning, Lori came over and we made Baptism Banners for brothers who will be baptized this Sunday.  Both designs are new for us so it took us longer than expected.

 We enjoyed lunch together before we tackled the second one.  Lori has been researching designs and verses.  We had fun collaborating on them.  It is much more fun to make them with a partner. Thanks Lori.
This is the cover quilt from last September or October 2013 Fons and Porter magazine.  It was recently shown on their PBS program too.  My quarter blocks came out smaller than their pattern by at least 1/4 inch no matter how much I pressed.  Rats  - I hate when that happens.  Not decided if I will proceed or not. 

Wednesday, April 16, 2014

More Machine Quilting

On my way to the lake last week I found a backing I liked.

I finished the quilting on the Charlie Brown quilt Monday afternoon and put the Crosses and Crossroads quilt on.  I went out early Tuesday morning before Sit and Sew at Ladybug and finished quilting it.  The quilting is very simple and minimal. I'll get it trimmed between meetings and appointments today and make a binding when I get home this evening. That will give me plenty of time to finish sewing down the binding before  giving.

Sunday, April 13, 2014

Waiting It's Turn- February 28th

 Ready to go  -   I just have to decide how to quilt it!

Wow - It's been 6 weeks since I put this on the quilting machine.

Lake Life - Good Neighbors

Radar lives at the end of our road - he loves to visit everyone in the neighborhood.  He was taking a break while his owner, Dickie, along with Steve and Donna were mowing, raking and blowing the leaves off my yard. They came over Saturday morning and when my mower wouldn't start - they went home and came back in a few minutes with their equipment and before lunch they had it all done.  

After the clean up

The weather was beautiful and the I hated to leave this afternoon.  I wanted  to plant  some flowers in the planter but the weatherman said we may have some pretty cool temps near the middle of the week.

I had time to start quilting the Charlie Brown Quilt when I got back home.   I put it on the machine a few weeks ago.  Using the baptist fan again - still need lots more practice.  I need the quilting machine for the top I finished last week.

Friday, April 11, 2014

New Project Update

Yesterday, after I got home from a day out with a friend, I finished sewing this top.  It is 60 x 68".  I have decided not to use the border fabric as I really like it as is.  
Now for the backing.  I'm heading up to the lake later so if I don't find something I like here,  I can stop at "Quilt Lizzie" in Warrenton  on my way there.
Looking forward to seeing my lake friends!
Have a wonderful sunny day.

Tuesday, April 8, 2014

New Project

Late Sunday afternoon I decided I wanted to make a throw quilt for our intern, Russ.  His last Sunday is April 27.  We have been focusing on the Sermon on the Mount during Lent.  This pattern makes me think of the narrow path or way in Matthew 7 v.14. 
 The blocks are easy to make. I made more this afternoon and have cut more to sew in the  morning.
 I really wasn't planning on a border but I found this great fabric while sorting through some fabric. We'll see. 

Happy Birthday John

Yesterday would have been John's 80th birthday!  This camellia, just outside my kitchen window, is generally in bloom by his birthday.  Even though we had a late spring  it was right on time again this year.  The top really needed to be trimmed off but I wanted to wait until after it blossomed,  As soon as the blooms fade it will get a trim.  

Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Baby Dresden - Blue

This Dresden has rickrack trim around the edges as well as around the centers.  I used a variety of colors for the trims and used five plates rather than four as I would normally do.  I also used a different quilting idea.

The backing is Woodsy Wonders from South Sea Imports.  I love the feel of this fabric and the color was perfect.   This is also 50 x 50 inches.
 Hard to take pictures on the floor but it was available. Need to sew down bindings.