Friday, August 11, 2017

Labeling Quilts and Gifting Them

In between other things - I have been labeling the quilts that I will take to New York & Conn.
This one is for a nephew who turned 50 this year.  It has a flannel back. 
 I made it in 2013 and it is one the first I quilted on the long arm.

This will go to his brother who celebrated his 45th birthday this year - made it in 2014.
Liberated Stars - A pattern that is fun and easy to make.

I even put a label on one I finished recently - Just had a few inches of binding and then the label.

Ready to be bagged and packed in the car.  The pink one for my sister in law and her husband Howard (John's brother).  It is the Roll, Roll Cotton Boll.  
At the top of the stack is Zoe's H Quilt.
Hurrah 4 more quilts to new owners.  It always gives me pleasure to give my quilts.
Then I have excuses to make more.

Wednesday, August 9, 2017

July 2017........Weeks 3-4

I was fortunate to spend time in Antwerp with Shane, Vince and Shelly.  As well as Vince's Mom, Mia. 
 We had a wonderful time enjoying all the local sights in the older section of the city.  Our apartment was in the older section of the city above a men's shop and a perfumery.
In the background is a backside view of the beautiful Our Lady Cathedral.

Bakeries and chocolate shops!!!!

Delicious Waffles everywhere.

 Spied this in a shop on our way to a restaurant on evening.

Our Lady Cathedral - the inside is so incredible.  So much to see, alters, statuary, paintings etc.
Antwerp is the home of Reubens and the cathedral has four to enjoy.
I would love to see it all again.

The view upon entering.

Shelly and I took the train to spend a couple of days in Brugge. 
This is the main square there.

This is a view of the canal right next to our hotel. 
The gentleman who lives here was out faithfully tending his garden when we first arrived.

Another canal.

At the Basilica of the Sacred Blood in Brugge.

Final evening spent with Mia before we headed home.

Monday, August 7, 2017

The Hen Party !998

Here we are back in 1998 - at Barb's house. 
(And this is not the funny picture) 
Who knows what we were thinking.
I believe we started out with a birthday party theme as all my sisters and brother have birthdays in July and Barb's is in August. 
 I just remember - Janet bringing gifts for each of us.  Books, Stationary etc. 

Barb made a spaghetti supper like our Mom always made for us when we came to her house. Without fail it was spaghetti and meatballs or a pork roast that she cooked in a pressure cooker.

We played cards, toured the local antique shops, played cards, did a porch tour, played cards,
relaxed and did I mention we played cards.  We used to be fanatics about playing cards. The guys would go to bed and we'd stay up and play cards till the wee hours.
Such simple fun - we loved it.

It's just around the corner - Can't wait till the fun begins this year. 

July 2017.....Week Two

Hamilton Missouri - Home of the Missouri Star Quilt Company.
Thirteen friends took a trip to Missouri for a 3 day retreat.  
We had a wonderful time - sewing, shopping; scavenger hunt, shopping; laughing, shopping; eating, shopping ----you get the idea.

Jenny and Ron with our group
 It was their Christmas in July Retreat so they brought each of us a small gift.
 And Jenny did her trunk show one evening.

Our hostesses did demos and entertained us with little skits a few times each day. 
Our meals were catered by some of the local citizens and for the most very tasty.
We had very nice Baby Lock Machines to use but I got very little sewing done.

 This is the quilt that was on the wall in my room.

At the end of the retreat we were invited to put all our purchases in bags and they shipped them home for us. 
 Lots of fun and something I would definitely do again.

Friday, August 4, 2017

July 2017... Week One

The Class of 1957 - South New Berlin, NY
I traveled to New York State to share the 60th High School Reunion of these fine friends. 

(I think it wonderful that they get together every year and have such  a close bond with one another.)
 My family moved after our Freshman year.  I graduated from another high school but they kindly invite me to their celebrations.
  We shared a fun boat ride on Otsego Lake and a wonderful meal at The Otesaga Resort in Cooperstown, NY.

My younger sister, Barb,  and I drove out to Hornell to see our older sister Janet.
She is recovering from a medical set back.  However she is making  some progress.

While at Barb's we were entertained by my great nephew and her grandson Ethan.
He played cards with us and here he is serenading me with "Getting to Know You" from the King and I.  He's a ton of fun and you can't help but smile when he's around.

My family, helped  me celebrate my birthday when I got back home.

Friday, July 7, 2017

Crossed Canoes

This is the crossed canoes quilt that I have on the machine right now.

I started the border but wasn't sure How I was going to proceed from there.  I'll have plenty of time to think about it before I have time to get back to quilting.

Going to take some time off for some vacation and it is just too hot to quilt right now.
 I'm going to look into having an A/C Unit installed.

Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Bindings and Church Doings

Well  - I sewed them all by machine but they are all done! How else could I get all four done in one day

Making bread at church.

Another 36 loaves ready to deliver.  We are usually done baking by 11AM and then they cool for a bit before they package them for delivery.

Our VBS starts this week .  It's call Fixer - Upper.

I just love the mural that P ,who heads up our Bread Ministry, made for them. 
 She used aluminum foil to make the metal parts of the tools.  Very Clever is she!!!