Pages

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Gardening

 April 30th.


May 15th.













May 27th.





 It's been years and years since I've had a real vegetable garden.  The past few years we've grown tomatoes in bags of potting soil,  layed on top of the ground and covered with pine straw, which is great but requires lots of watering.  
Last year John bought 3 of those Topsy-Turvy bags which required even more watering.  One mocking bird thought it made a great place for a nest in May.  I know it was like a sauna in there once it really got hot outside. She moved out in June. 
We probably spent $50 for the few cucumbers we picked from one bag.  I think it was just too hot for the tomatoes.  We gave the bags to our SIL Jesse to try to grow flowers on their porch this year.   
This year I decided to put the plants in the ground under the clothesline posts (same place I put the bags of potting soil) so I have 2 mini gardens.  I planted tomatoes, zucchini squash, basil, cucumbers and summer squash. I saw a couple of tiny zucchini last night.


No comments: