Pages

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Turning Leaves & An Amusing Memory

 

I finished sewing the borders on this Turning Leaves quilt that I started back in March. It is now 56 x 73". 
The picture was taken outside in the sun so the color isn't really correct.
I sewed the backing (bright green with purple markings) and made the binding (purple batik, same fabric as outer border) also.  I think I will like it better once it's quilted.
I am still looking for a border fabric for my string quilt.  I have checked  through my fabric at here at home and am not happy with any that I've found. Guess I'll have to look at Whistle Stop Thursday when I meet with Connie, Cathy and Sally to sew.  
I bought a fabric I thought I might use at Ladybug when I was there to teach my quilting class on Saturday. But once I had it home I decided against it.

Oh! that reminds me of an amusing memory!

My Saturday student is a retired Home Ec teacher from Ithaca, NY.  ( She doesn't look old enough to be retired). I'll have to tell her this on Saturday when I see her again.

When I was in 7th or 8th grade in New York State, Home Economics was a mandatory class that all girls took.  We learned the basics of cooking and other useful knowledge such as how to make a bed properly.
One day, I think we may have been getting ready to start sewing classes, our teacher demonstrated the proper way to put on a bra.  Well you can imagine the amusement of a bunch of teenage girls watching an amply endowed middle aged lady putting on her bra (over her dress, of course). 
According to her, you were to put your arms through the straps, reach behind your back to fasten the bra and then bend over at the waist so that your breasts would  fall naturally into the cups. 
 Most of us barely needed bras - so we hooted about that all through high school.

No comments: