Pages

Thursday, June 2, 2016

Greek Cross & Corn


A few evenings back I had just enough time to load this donation quilt on the quilting machine.
Even though it was pretty warm when I got home yesterday PM, I went down and did the top border and first row.  I had decided to do feathers in the border but wasn't sure about the center.  A happy little feather circle popped into my head and it is working out really well.


Corn was on sale at a few of our local grocery stores Memorial Day weekend.  I was chatting with a lady a few years older than myself and she said she was getting 15 ears of corn and was going to freeze them as she cooked corn (her favorite vegetable) every Sunday. 
 I was just getting 5 ears because they looked so fresh.
A couple of days later - a different grocery store - I had almost the same conversation with a lady from a neighboring town.  She also told me it was the most economical place to buy it.  She gave me the run down on how she prepared it for freezing so what was I to do.
I bought 25 ears for 5 bucks. The store had a bin so you could shuck them there (BONUS!)


So I washed the ears and remembered this cool gadget that Molly gave me for Christmas (on the advice of my sister Barb).  It takes all the mess out of freezing corn.  You just run it down the ear and all the kernels fall into the tool.  Then just cook the corn five minutes, cool and place in freezer bags.



Corn on the cob always makes me think of John
John lived for fresh corn on the cob - I swear that was the reason we went to NYS in August.
 He thought the best corn was grown in New York State.  There was a farm near my Mom's that had a variety called Sugar and Cream.  The ears were huge. 
 Everywhere we went in NY, we had corn on the cob.
  Many times we'd be on the way to his sister's or my sister's and he'd have to stop at a produce stand and buy fresh corn to be sure they had some! 
I'd try to give him a little grief about how not everyone wanted to cook corn on the cob for him
but most times they already had corn waiting for him.  They all knew he loved corn and they loved him.
And that's all it took to make him a happy camper.
   

1 comment:

spope said...

just love this pattern and of course your quilting. That corn looks great. I had gotten two ears at Wally world and it was some of the best I have ever had. I also love corn on the cob. I try to eat all I can in season. I have to put up some this year as I have used all I had put up last year.
S