Pages

Sunday, October 28, 2018

Back to Sewing -England Inspired 1



Saw this quilt in a vendor booth just as we were getting ready to wrap up our second day at the Quilt Exposition in Birmingham.   I didn't buy the pattern - I don't even know if they were selling it or were just using the quilt for decoration.  And I didn't take the time to even ask.  


I had a layer cake that I had purchased at a private sale and thought it would be great to use for practice.  It's pretty loud and I did add a couple of fabrics to settle it down a bit.  I call the pattern a "cut and switch".   Basically you
1.  Layer 2 squares of fabric right sides up 
2.  Cut twice vertically and twice horizontally ( in roughly a plus sign)
3. Switch the arms and legs of the plus sign
4. Sew the pieces back together
5. Press and trim if needed.
The blocks are about 9 inches unfinished -I haven't sewn these blocks together yet.



My second attempt was using a constant batik in all the blocks.  This time I started with 9 inch squares.  


Added a few more fabrics each day and it took much longer than the layer cake for having to pull, press, cut squares, refold and return fabrics etc.



I sewed these into a top that measures 52.5 by 67.5".
Will make a nice lap quilt or throw.
May try this again but not right away.


No comments: