Pages

Friday, July 29, 2022

Hot Weather Quilting Time


I have been waiting for some 120" batting to arrive so that I could start the quilting. 
I usually get a roll of 90 or 96" wide batting.  
I never realized how much heavier the 120" roll would be, it was all I could do to drag it in from the porch.

Troublesome back!

 When I buy fabrics that I think will make a nice quilt back, I generally buy 5.5 to 6 yards as I don't usually make quilts that are longer than 96" long and usually close to 90" wide. 

This quilt ended up being 99 by 99"which is almost the limit for this quilting machine too.

 So I had to add approximately 24" to the width.  I had these star blocks that I had thought of using in a Patriotic quilt eventually.  They were perfect to make up the width that I needed to this 6 yard piece of fabric.  

They did give me a bit of a headache though when I came to all those seams from the 36 pieces in the center of each block.  So glad I didn't ask a friend to quilt it! 


Variegated Double Nine Patch  - 2019

I have trimmed it and sewn on a binding. I rarely use a light binding but I had a yard of very light tan fairy frost that goes well with all the light blocks.  It is sewn on and there is no way I am taking off 400" of binding.  At least it will be easier to sew than a dark color.



All finished including the binding!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++


Planted this lovely hibiscus (Midnight Marvel)that was a birthday gift today.  The foliage has a nice purple cast. It has been so hot that it is hard to keep it watered.  Hopefully it will be happy in the front bed by the driveway.  

No comments: