Pages

Friday, October 28, 2011

Very Cool & Drizzly .... Quilt # 68 From the Archives

Bluebird and Baskets  - Quilt # 68
Today was very cool, 46 degrees, and drizzly. (Normal high is 69 degrees).  It would have been a good day to do some quilting but I had lots of errands.

When I got home I decided  it was time to take down this kinda spring-like quilt and hang up the Indian Orange Peel I finished about the time I started this blog thing.  However, I neglected to sew a hanging sleeve on it so that was my project for this evening.  Just finished it so tomorrow it gets hung in the dining room.  Very appropriate as it is lots of oranges and blacks.

I made the Bluebird and Baskets Quilt in 1996.  It is 41" square.  I originally hand quilted it but was dissatisfied with the results. I took out a lot of the hand stitching and did machine quilting in those areas.  It was awarded 2nd Place at the 1996 Salisbury Rowan Quilt Guild Show and 2nd Place at the NC State Fair in 1998.

I was really into Folk Art at the time.  I taught several friends from the Three Rivers Quilt Guild in Albemarle, NC  how to make the 3 dimensional flowers in the baskets. I ended up with two similar quilts.  I gave one to my sister, Janet.  Not sure if I have a picture of it.  Note to self - look for it.

The final game of the World Series is calling my attention. Have a good weekend.

No comments: