Pages

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Double Nine Patch Top Finished

I'm not sure when I sewed the center of this quilt top together but sometime last fall.  At that time, I couldn't decide what kind of border I wanted to put on it, pieced, applique or printed fabric. So I folded it up and put it aside for awhile.

I uncovered it again while I was tidying up in the sewing room.  I have been in the mood to finish things so I used a print that I had on hand for the outer border. I dug around and found an avocado green Kona solid for an inner border.   I only had 2 yards of the floral fabric so I used different portions for the sides and top and bottom borders. The top measures 75 x 90".
I hope I can find more of the same green for the binding.  I had just a half yard and a fat quarter to start with.  I thought I might like a one inch inner border so cut 1.5" strips.  They looked too wide so I cut more strips at one inch rather than try to cut the bigger ones down. I figured they wouldn't be straight if I did that.  They probably won't look super straight anyways with all the nine patches along the edges.


This is  about one fourth of the quilt.



Here is a closer view of the border fabric.  It is a Tulleries from Benartex.  I made a backing from six different cream and red prints that were on the shelf so it can go in the ready to layer stack.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Thursday
John and I went to Chapel Hill for lunch after his appointment Tuesday.  I stopped by Thimble Pleasures and the were out of the avocado Kona but have reordered it. Yea!

1 comment:

spope said...

I love the red and white one. Are they 2.5 inch squares and 6.5 plain block squares? Just so fresh and clean looking.
You are the bomb!