Pages

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Dresden Plate

In early 2010 I wanted to use my Aunt Graces type fabrics to make a quilt.  I waffled back and forth about patterns.  I thought about making a grandmother's fan. A friend had make a Dresden plate and  she had loaned me a pattern.  One day I typed Dresden plate in the search box and this nine patch/Dresden plate, done in Aunt Grace fabrics, picture appeared. THAT'S IT!  I knew the moment I saw it, I would make it.  There was no name to acknowledge - I believe it was posted by the person who quilted it.  And believe me the quilting was perfectly done.
This was also the first time I had used a white background in a quilt. After the top was made I spent about 6 months looking for the perfect white print backing fabric.  I layered it last July and Have just know gotten up my courage to start quilting it.  I was so glad to have that wonderful quilting to give me an idea as to how to quilt it.  It's at the limit as to size I feel I can manage on my Bernina 1130.

The plate blocks went really fast.  The straight lines were a total bore.  I have been enjoying the feathery quilting.  Using lots and lots of thread as there are lots of starts and stops.  There is a pink inner border where I will use pink thread but all the rest will be done with white Aurifil 50/2 weight.

Monday was Table of Grace at WUMC so it was cooking and fellowship.  We cooked Ham, sweet potatoes, broccoli and carrots, biscuits and apple crisp.  We had new volunteers to help serve and a local Brownie troop came to help with the clearing of tables.  They were so cute and such good helpers.
By the way the Girl Scout Organization is celebrating their 100th year this year.
Yesterday was errands and catching up day.

No comments: